Oakthorpe Primary is a very popular school. Our admission number is 78, although there are 85 children in Year 5.
We welcome visits from prospective parents to help them choose the right school. Parents should contact the
Senior Administrative Officer to arrange a visit. We are happy to include a tour of the school and, if possible, time
with a senior member of staff. We also run an Open Afternoon in November each year to give parents the
opportunity to visit classrooms during school time and to meet the headteacher.
Parents should apply for a Reception place for their child by contacting the Local Authority enfield.gov.uk (020
8379 1000) or completing an online application form at eadmissions.org.uk. Information can be obtained from
our school office, but it is the Local Authority that sets the admissions criteria for community schools and allocates
places. Priority is given to certain children including those with a sibling at the school, who have a medical need,
who have a parent working at the school or live nearest to the school.
In the spring term the Local Authority will let parents know at which school they have been allocated a place. If
parents are not allocated a place at the school of their choice, they can appeal to the Local Authority.
Our induction and admission procedures:
At Oakthorpe we aim to begin working with children and their parents before the children start school. We do this
- Liaison with nurseries and play groups, including visits
- Play Sessions – parents and children are invited to a series of play sessions in the summer term so they become familiar with the classrooms and staff and can begin to make friends
- Parents meetings – parents are invited to an information meeting in the summer term. Some parents may be invited to meet with our Special Educational Needs Coordinator.
- Home visits – staff visit children and their parents at home in September
- Play afternoon the day before children start school
- A staggered start to school – children start school part time in the third or fourth week of September and this increases to full time by the beginning of October.
Families with older children who wish to apply for a place at Oakthorpe, must apply via the Local Authority at Enfield Council, PO Box 56, Civic Centre, Silver street, Enfield EN1 3XQ. Tel: 020 8379 1000
The following information is also obtainable from Enfield Council:
- Aids to pupils ie free school meals, clothing grants
- How parents should apply for admission to schools
- Admissions to schools outside the London Borough of Enfield
- How to appeal against a placement which is not acceptable
- Arrangements for transfers between schools
- How to gain advice regarding special education.